Gibbs Hill Lighthouse History
Since its initial operation on May 1, 1846, the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse has been flashing its beam to seafarers using kerosene and more recently, electricity. There were 39 shipwrecks off the western extremity of the isles ten years before the lighthouse's construction. The reefs in this area reach out to sea for at least 16 miles. When it was built in 1844, steel was not a material used in construction. Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is one of the few cast iron structures worldwide.
Surprisingly, the home operated as the Signal Station and was inhabited by a family of seafaring men who sailed past the treacherous reefs without the advantage of the warning light that now carries the family name back in the 1700's. The lighthouse is situated on a 245-foot-high hill, with the building itself measuring 117 feet from base to light.
The lighthouse is located near Gibb's Hill Signal Station, which the British Army previously maintained. If you choose to travel via public transportation, the lighthouse is a 10 minute walk away from the #7 and #8 bus stops. The website provides more detailed mapping of the exact location from those points.